Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A Sweet Paycheck

Based on estimates by various groups attempting to put a price tag on a mother's work, stay-at-home moms should be bringing in somewhere in the $115,000 per year range.  Using the Mom Salary Wizard, one can  calculate of a specific mother's worth based on her location and the time she spends each week performing various "mom jobs" - cook, housekeeper, chauffeur, psychologist, daycare center teacher, etc. The list of a typical mom's "jobs" doesn't include "elementary school teacher," either.  I'm guessing if you added that in, I'd make a penny or two more than $115,000.  That would be a fine paycheck. I know it's not going to happen, but I sure wouldn't mind cashing a check like that.

Then again, there are things on which you simply cannot put a price.  Take, for example, a bedtime conversation with the sweetest, prettiest, most darling girl I've ever met...

"What was your favorite part of the day?" I asked my daughter, as I do at some point in every evening, lest her eyes open wide with dismay when, realizing my mistake, she tells me I forgot to ask what her favorite part of that day was.

She barely stopped to think before answering, "My favorite part of the day was staying with you the whole day."

Now, that is a sweet paycheck to which no amount of cash compares.


No comments:

Post a Comment