Saturday, April 9, 2011

On a Lighter Note...

While I over-analyze things like noisy toddlers in church and the religiosity of school books, life happens.  The past week has thrust us into fostering a kitten, and I am pleased to say the little guy is doing well.  Rescued Wednesday from a cold corner under the deck, he is now consistently warm, eating well, and wiggling around, trying to master the use of his spindly, long-toed legs.  I'm not entirely convinced that he does not have some birth defect that will lead to a premature demise or a lifetime of being a little "off," but for now, he's on the road to being cute.  Okay, maybe he already is kind of cute, in his funny alien-eyed way.  The kids love him, and as he has grown stronger, they have had more opportunity to pet and hold him.  Soon, I hope to feel confident enough in his health and their gentleness to allow them to feed him, or at least help in that task.

In other news, we have survived another Spring Cuboree with the Cub Scouts.  Camp outs (even when I take Luke home for the night and for nap) are still not 100% enjoyable for me, as I spend a bulk of my time preventing Luke from wreaking havoc on the campsite, but I'm beginning to allow myself to hope that my enjoyment level will increase drastically in the near future.  Geoff kept busy with Cubmaster stuff.  Andrew and John romped through the woods like, well, like true boys.  I'm not sure why, and I promise NOT to try to figure it out tonight, but there is always something so satisfying about seeing my little men sweaty, filthy, and exhausted - but not exhausted enough to refrain from running back into the woods from whence they came.  Elisabeth forged a friendship with a girl from another Cub Scout pack, and had a delightful time with her new friend.  I knew we had a little girl when, upon going to check on her this morning when I got to the campsite, both girls rushed up to confirm that Elisabeth's new friend could come to her birthday party, an event that won't be happening for another two months.  She proceeded to spend almost all of the day playing with her friend and hanging out with the other Pack.  Geoff tried to retrieve her once, but apparently the affection was mutual.  They asked to keep her.  My daughter is, apparently, a rather winsome little creature.

Cuboree was cut short due to impending storms.  The kids were bathed and sent to bed with only one flushed tick, and now all of my campers (and future campers) are sleeping soundly.  Perhaps most soundly sleeping is Geoff, whose ability to pull together all that he does for his family, work, and scouting is pretty darn amazing.  I'm pretty sure I'd lose my mind completely if I had to manage all the realms he does.

No comments:

Post a Comment