Sunday, March 18, 2012

The Art of Humility

I have always held that every home with children should possess an Art Box.  Supplies - paper, pencils, crayons, markers, paint, play dough, and more - should be readily available for a child's exploration of his artistic inclinations.  I have encouraged creativity at every opportunity and truly enjoyed my children's masterpieces.  Yes, that extends to "Sith lightening" and accidental portraits (see photo below) on bedroom walls, and of course, to the almost infamous "Bloody Cat" (second photo).



Over the years, I've heard a few parents say they don't allow markers or paint or other art supplies in their homes, for fear of what their children might do with said instruments of creativity.  In such instances, I have thought, (somewhat smugly, I'm ashamed to admit), "How awful to stifle a child's creativity by depriving them of art supplies!"  I have patted myself on the back, ever so slightly, for so generously encouraging the development of "the whole child," artsy mess and all.

Then came Luke, a rather independent young man, who is slowly chipping away my pride.  After a joyous afternoon of washing the dog, the minivan, and several bikes and scooters, the children were spreading blankets around the living in preparation for a movie night.  I was googling "what to do with rosemary."  Suddenly, the older boys are shouting, "Mom!  Mom!  Come quickly!  Lukie..."

I imagined my youngest child pulling the television over on himself or standing on the mantle or something exceedingly frightening to a mother.  What I found...  and actually, it was rather frightening... was an assortment of tempura paints on the trunk we use as a coffee table, along with maybe half a cup of gold glitter dumped on the trunk and on the rug.

Two things occurred to me as I vacuumed the glitter explosion that ended up spreading from the living room to the kitchen as paint palettes were carried to the trash and sink.


  1. An independent child is all fun and games until he discovers the whereabouts of the Art Box.
  2. My independent child is instilling in me an understanding of and sympathy for those parents, perhaps more wise than cruel, who limit or completely ban art supplies in their homes.  For that, I ought to give thanks.

I stand by the belief that children should be allowed to express themselves artistically through various media, and I will continue to revel in my children's creativity.  The Art Box stays, though I might find a new, better hiding place for it.  But I will no longer quietly congratulate myself when another mother tells me she doesn't let her children have markers or "do art" at home - or whatever limitations she has enforced.  Instead I will look at my youngest child and understand full well the implications of a house in possession of both art supplies and an independent child.

And I will not judge.  No, no, I will not judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment