Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The Official Pitch

In my last post, Pitch Perfect, I promised a little back cover blurb of the novel I'm trying to publish. This goes in the letter I send to literary agents, requesting representation. The idea, of course, is to so enthrall them that they must have more. As always, your comments are welcome!

Without further delay, I give you... THE OFFICIAL PITCH... with one character's name held back, out of little more than my desire to keep something secret. I hope you will indulge me in this.


The first lesson we teach our babes is, "Never approach a stranger without a ready weapon."

When Grit of Berth and Stone, a young woman on the brink of warriorhood, stepped off the well-worn path to aid a struggling woman, she broke the first rule of Threshan society. Cast out of her village, Grit vows never again to show weakness. Everything changes when she meets K, who dares her to accompany him to the Southern Realm.

"When you get around to deciding whether to accept or decline my offer," he says, "it all comes down to one question: Have you the courage to believe that I will help you and not harm you?"

In the courts of K's castle, Grit encounters a courage deeper than she had ever imagined existed, a courage she must claim for herself when K sends her back to the village she swore to forget. There, Grit must correct the errors of her past and prepare to face an ancient evil set on plunging every corner of Chasmaria into utter chaos.



The First Draft 

2 comments:

  1. Lisa, I am so excited for you! I've yet to put a pitch together so I am inexperienced in these matters, but this is well-written and vivid. Where are you submitting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The pitch is so much harder than the novel! :) I've submitted to a few agents already. I'll try to shoot you an email soon, detailing the process thus far and offering any tips that come to mind. Are you still planning to self-pub? I think of you every time I come across an agent seeking steampunk!

    ReplyDelete