Friday, October 4, 2013

On the Subject of Negativity

I jokingly subtitled my last post, The Post in Which I Ignore All Things Negative. It was a joke, mostly, because we all know people whose lives are so perfect you want to, I don't know... spill gourmet coffee all over their spotless counter and wipe it up with their brand-new, organic cotton washcloth. Or maybe, don't judge me, lick up said mess because who wants to waste coffee?

But seriously. I know those people, and I roll my eyes at them, too. Life isn't perfect. It's full of messiness - literal and metaphorical - and I'll never pretend it isn't.

But here's the thing: It felt really, really, really good to sit down and write about everything that's going right. Maybe it's a bit self-congratulatory, but maybe it's a lot refocusing. Maybe it's where you exchange doubt for confidence.

So, here's what I want you to do - because today, I'm going to be all hokey and ask you to do something. In the comments section, tell me what's going right in your life. Don't be shy, don't be meek. Look around and see the beautiful things happening in the midst of your mess and chaos. Rejoice in those things.


2 comments:

  1. When I did Logan's eight year old birthday interview and asked him if he could have one wish in the world what would it be and his response without a moment's hesitation and with all sincerity was "that I wouldn't have a sinful heart" I felt both proud and humbled. Personally, that was the furthest thought from my mind when I read the question and his answer was just so genuine I thought maybe despite all my own failures God truly is at work in my son's heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so very sweet. It's amazing, the unseen changes in their hearts.

      Delete