Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Welcome to our World, Little One!

No, we haven't popped out another one... 

At least not literally, but I can't help but think of the excitement, the agony, and the ultimate joy that surround childbirth as I contemplate one little thing happening in the life of our family.

Elisabeth is learning to read.

When she first asked to read a page of Green Eggs and Ham to me last night - and as she proceeded to twist her little mouth into the sounds that make up the simplest of the Bob Books, I was thrilled to think of the world that was opening up to her.  In a weird way, I feel like I'm welcoming a new baby into our family - except its a reader, not a baby.  She's only beginning to read and will labor toward fluent, high level reading (hopefully her labor toward fluency will be no match for that of childbirth).  But oh, what joys await her! And what joys await our entire family as she shares her impressions of what she has read and as she reminds us of old favorites and introduces us to books we might otherwise have overlooked!

She's a long way from Anne of Green Gables, Jane Austin, and the Brontes, but someday she and I will meander together through those tales - and she will wander down her own sweet, secret paths in those tomes and others.  I'm delighted that she is joining the world of readers.  It's a great, glorious world in which to live and I am so happy to welcome her into this world!

I guess this means my girl is growing up, and I couldn't be more proud of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment