Thursday, November 17, 2011

An Occasion for Dancing

My husband and I dance together every day.  We dance this crazy little jig as old as Adam and Eve.  Funny thing is, even after all these years, no one has quite figured out the steps.  You can watch others dance this dance, read books about this dance, talk about it till you're blue in the face...  but no one can tell you exactly when or where to place each of your feet.  You have to figure it out step by step, and the music rarely stops long enough for you to look at your feet.  It's the beauty and joy of this dance called "Life."  This dance, under the providence of God and the sweetness of his blessing, is uniquely, marvelously, beautifully yours.

Sometimes, it's a gloriously elegant dance, with every intricate detail of motion, sound, and color coming together flawlessly.  Sometimes, it's a little like two people bringing four left feet to a crummy DJ's dance floor.  Regardless of what it looks like, though, we dance.  Whether graceful or clumsy, it is a beautiful dance, for beneath our fluctuating coordination is something steady, something that drives us to strive for grace and to cover bruised toes with understanding, forgiveness, and laughter.   It imparts the hope, courage, and faith necessary to dance on confidently.

As I celebrate the birthday of my love, my partner in this ancient dance, I rejoice in the love God has given us.  I am forever thankful to Geoff for his gift of contagious laughter, his ability to look beyond my flaws, and his steadiness through every step of our sweet, always-ageless, ever-new dance.

Happy birthday, Geoff.

(For the sake of our pride and the serenity of observers, I will not ask you to dance with me in the literal sense, however grateful I am to dance with you in the figurative sense!)

1 comment:

  1. He learned from his daddy who is the best of the best!!!!

    ReplyDelete