Friday, October 7, 2011

Whales, Mermaids, and Me

A recent article comparing whales and mermaids, (i.e. large women and small women) is making a splash on the web.  I read it.  I understand the sentiment of enjoying and cherishing life being more valuable than a perfect figure.  I agree that women should worry less about appearances and live life fully, unhindered by self-consciousness.  For extra measure, I'll even say risk corniness by saying that a woman does not consist in the shape of her body but in the fullness of her heart.  I completely get all of that, and agree that it's time for us, as women and as human beings, to celebrate true beauty. 

Still, something about the article irked me a bit.  Well, more than something.  Some things.

First, obesity is a problem.  Without doubt, we women need to lighten up on self-loathing, but that doesn't negate our need, in many cases, to lighten up physically.  Health should be our goal, whatever our weight, but we can't ignore that some weights are healthier for an individual than others.  (And yes, "healthy weight" is not a one-size-fits-all).  Should we celebrate not being able to attain mermaid perfection or even our own "healthy weight"?  No, we should do what we can to live as healthfully as possible.  Sometimes, life circumstances make healthy living more difficult than we'd like.  Accept some limitations, challenge others.  Don't look at a mermaid and say, "I'll never look like that, so bring on the cake!"  Do what you can to be as healthy as you can.  Don't beat yourself up about the rest, and don't give up all hope and effort.  Live well.


Next, whales are all that and a bag of chips, a slice of cake, and a large soda...  Really?  

Some random whale facts for you:

1.  Whales gestate for 12-18 months. (That's about twice as long as I can patiently bear pregnancy).

2.  Newborn whales are weighed in TONS and measured in FEET.  (Try birthing that).

3.  Whales eat fish, krill, squid, and plankton.  Yum. (Notice there's no ice cream, coffee, or chocolate on the list).

4.  People hunt whales. (No thanks).

5.  Seven out of thirteen great whale species are "endangered or vulnerable." (Again, no thanks).

6.  Whales have holes in the tops of their heads.  (I need to be a whale like I need another hole in my head).

7.  Whales carry barnacles and lice.  (And I bet they smell as fishy as mermaids do).

I'm not sure being a whale is all it's cracked up to be, which brings me to my next issue with the article...

Why do we have to be a whale or a mermaid?  Can't we just be women?  In discussing the article with a friend, I had to admit that I'm not sure I fit either category.  I know where I would put myself most days, but I don't know that I'm being fair to myself.  If I'm honest, I'm neither thin enough to be envied, nor fat enough to garner much sympathy.  Where does that leave me?  I think it leaves me an ordinary, average woman who is no more content to settle for being a figurative whale than she is hopeful of being a literal mermaid. 

Finally, why aren't women, large and small, offended by this whole thing?  By saying that fat is the result of an overflow of knowledge and wisdom, the author implies either that large women's brains are miniscule and thus unable to contain ordinary knowledge and wisdom, or that thin women lack those two lovely treasures.  Either option is pretty offensive to someone.  Besides, the whole notion that fat is really stored knowledge and wisdom is pure scientifically-flawed baloney...  and you know how I feel about baloney.  (Insert gagging sound).  

 So, you can have your mythical creatures and endangered sea mammals.  The choice is perfectly clear to me:  I want to be a woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment